Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Hey guys, this is a post that explains one reason why your wifi may not be working with your Rogers Blackberry Bold 9700. My wifi stopped working when I changed my phone plan. I has a my 5 plan, and a bundle which included personal email and IM as well as caller ID and voicemail. This was fine, however for only $2 more I could get 500mb of data to be used for anything, and my 10 instead of my 5. I thought this was a reasonably good deal, so I opted to change to this plan. Immediately after switching to this new plan, my phone would no longer connect to wifi. Where I could previously use email, and IM over wifi, I could no longer. I spent numerous hours with tech support, each time only to find that there were no issues with my phone, but with no other options available, they decided to replace my phone. The replacement arrived, and I was excited at the thought that maybe it would work. Alas, it still would not let me connect to wifi. I was no farther ahead and tech support still could not understand why it would not work. I had a few different explanations however. One agent said it could be that my internet is through Aliant, not Rogers (this however was false because it functioned before, and tested at the Rogers store). One agent told me that you can't do IM or email over wifi because it uses Blackberry's network (I tried not to laugh at that one). One agent told me that they don't guarantee that data services will work over wifi (great selling pitch). I was finally at the point where I was willing to switch back to my old plan which seemed to be the cause of it all. The last agent who made the changes informed me that this would most likely not solve my problem since "data is data", but I told him to make the changes anyway. The minute the change was made, the wifi logo went white, and connected, and all my messages populated into my email accounts. I asked this agent if there were any restrictions reguarding using data over wifi as opposed to the Rogers network, as this was my only reasoning, but he informed me there were not. I'm still at a loss for why a simple plan change disallowed my wifi data use, but it's fixed and that's what matters. So, if you have recently made changes to your plan, and your wifi data usage no longer works, try switching back, it should fix it for you. Hope this helps! thanks guys

No comments:

Post a Comment